How to Report
To report a communicable disease during business hours, please complete the Communicable Disease Report Form or contact the Department of Health:
- For STDs, call 260-449-7350 or fax to 260-449-3507
- For Non-STDs, call 260-449-7556 or fax to 260-449-8731
- For lead test results, call 260-449-7459 or fax to 260-449-7460
If reporting a disease after hours, please contact Allen County Dispatch at 260-449-7661 and ask to have the Department of Health’s on-call representative paged.
What to Report
Disease reports must include as much of the following as is known:
- Disease or condition
- Date of disease onset
- Relevant lab results and specimen collection date
- Case name, age, birth date, sex, race, address and occupation
- Name and phone number of person making the report
- Name, address, and telephone number of attending physician, hospital, clinic, or other specimen submitter
- Name, address, telephone number, and CLIA ID number of the laboratory performing the test
Animal Bite Reporting
It is critical providers report when a patient has been bitten or scratched by an animal, domestic or wild, to Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control as required by law. Timely reporting increases the likelihood Animal Control officers can secure the animal for quarantine or testing purposes before it escapes or causes additional harm. In Allen County, fax a completed Indiana Animal Bites Report to 260-427-5514.
School Absence Reporting
Indiana law (512 IAC 1) requires school corporations and accredited nonpublic schools to report to the local health department the percentage of student absences when the percentage of student absences from a school is equal to or greater than 20% of the enrolled students (Exceptions: days immediately before or after school vacation days or scheduled instructional day that is canceled due to any weather-related emergency unless otherwise determined by the superintendent).
Please complete the School Absence Reporting Form below and fax to 260-449-8731 or call 260-449-7556 during normal business hours to report.
Contact the Clinical Services and Case Management Division for more information and to report a communicable disease.